Banana Caramel Cupcakes – Deliciously moist and fluffy banana cupcakes, filled with homemade banana caramel, and topped with a sweet banana caramel frosting!
Wanna know what I did with the Homemade Banana Caramel Sauce I made? I made CUPCAKES with it!
These cupcakes are so deliciously moist and fluffy, and are loaded with banana flavour. I’ve filled them with my Homemade Banana Caramel Sauce, and topped them with a sweet Banana Caramel buttercream frosting. To finish these off, I garnished them with banana slices, and drizzled them with even more caramel!
These cupcakes are a huge hit with my family, and if you’re a banana and caramel lover, then you are going to LOVE these, too!
- 1 and 1/2 cups cake flour* 150g
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster/granulated sugar 150g
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted, 115g
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt 120g
- 2 large bananas peeled and mashed
- homemade banana caramel sauce** to fill cupcakes and drizzle on top
- 4 cups icing/powdered sugar 500g
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened, 226g
- 1/4 cup homemade banana caramel sauce** 80g
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin cases, and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Whisk together the eggs. Add the sugar, and whisk until combined. Add the butter, vanilla, yogurt, and mashed banana, and whisk until combined. Fold in the dry ingredients.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cases, filling only 2/3 full.
Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely before filling and frosting.
Using a cupcake corer or knife, scoop out the centres of the cooled cupcakes. Fill the cupcakes with the banana caramel sauce.
Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on high until pale and creamy - about 5 - 10 minutes. Add half of the icing sugar and, starting on low speed and working up to high, beat until light and smooth. Add the remaining icing sugar, and beat, starting on low, until smooth and combined. Add the banana caramel sauce, and milk, and beat on high until light and fluffy.
Transfer the frosting to a piping bag, and frost the cooled cupcakes. Garnish with banana slices, and drizzle on some banana caramel sauce!
*Make your own cake flour! Measure out 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) of plain/all-purpose flour, remove 3 tablespoons, and replace with 3 tablespoons of cornflour/cornstarch. Sift well.
**If using my recipe for Banana Caramel Sauce, this makes enough for filling cupcakes, adding to frosting, and drizzling on top with plenty left over.
Leftover cupcakes can be stored, in an airtight container, in the fridge for up to 3 days. Frosted or unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
Cupcakes can be made 1 day in advance, covered, and stored at room temperature or in the fridge. Cover the frosting, and store in the fridge until ready to use.
Take a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #marshasbakingaddiction, or tag me at @marshasbakeblog. I would love to see!