Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins – Deliciously moist and fluffy muffins that are bursting with banana flavour and loaded with chocolate chips. These muffins are perfect as an indulgent breakfast or snack!
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Take my all-time favourite chocolate chip muffin recipe and load it with mashed bananas. You’ll get these totally irresistible Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins.
These muffins are super moist and fluffy (as well as being a little dense), bursting with banana flavour, and stuffed full of melty chocolate chips.
They make the most perfect indulgent breakfast or on-the-go snack. We just love these muffins, and I’m sure you are gonna love them just as much. Enjoy!
Ingredients you’ll need
Here’s a list of ingredients you’ll need to make these muffins. You can find my recipe card at the bottom of this post for the complete list with their amounts.
- Plain/all-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Large eggs
- Caster/granulated sugar
- Buttermilk: See my recipe notes below on how to make your own.
- Vegetable oil: For added moisture.
- Vanilla extract
- Bananas: You’ll need 2 medium bananas, mashed. The riper the better.
- Chocolate chips: You can use milk, dark, or semi-sweet.
How to make Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
To make these muffins, simply start by whisking together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until thick and light in colour.
Add the buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and mashed bananas, and whisk until combined.
Add the dry ingredients in thirds and fold in until just combined – do not overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
The mixture will be thick and somewhat lumpy.
Spoon the mixture into a muffin pan lined with muffin cases (filling to the tops), and bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 5 – 10 minutes in the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
The printable recipe card with the FULL list of ingredients and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post.
NOTE: For best results, I highly recommend using the gram measurements (with a digital scale), rather than the cup measurements.
Cup measurements are simply not accurate enough, and I cannot guarantee the best results if you use them.
Tips & tricks for this recipe
Here are a few tips and tricks for making these muffins.
- You can make these muffins in a muffin pan with OR without the cases if needed. Just be sure to grease the pan well if not using – I recommend a cake release spray.
- Make sure to measure your flour out correctly. Using too much flour will result in dry muffins. I always recommend using kitchen scales instead of cups for better accuracy.
- When it comes to chocolate chips in this recipe, it’s entirely up to you if you want to use less or add a few more. If using more, I recommend no more than another 1/2 cup (90g).
- Once the muffin batter is in the pan ready to be baked, sprinkle on a few extra chocolate chips – for looks!
- If you can’t get hold of buttermilk, you can either make your own (instructions can be found in the recipe card below), or you can replace with plain yogurt or sour cream.
These Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins are:
- super quick and easy to make
- incredibly moist and fluffy (as well as being a little dense)
- LOADED with banana flavour
- stuffed full of chocolate chips
- the perfect indulgent breakfast or snack
How long will these muffins last? These muffins will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze these banana muffins? Yes! They also freeze well for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, and warm up in the microwave for a few seconds if desired.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram and hashtag it #marshasbakingaddiction. I’d love to see!