Chocolate Chip Ginger Cookies – Deliciously thick, soft, and chewy ginger-spiced cookies that are loaded with molasses and chocolate chips. These are the BEST cookies to make at Christmas time!
Chocolate Chip Ginger Cookies
Ginger molasses cookies are one of the most popular cookies made around Christmas time. I’ve gone ahead and thrown in some chocolate chips to make them extra special!
These cookies are thick, soft, and chewy. They’re loaded with molasses and festive spices, and stuffed full of chocolate chips.
They make the perfect edible gift, and are a must for your Christmas cookie tray.
If you or your family are a fan of ginger cookies, then you are absolutely going to LOVE this recipe.
Ingredients you’ll need
Here’s a list of ingredients you’ll need to make these cookies. You can find my recipe card at the bottom of this post for the complete list with their amounts.
- Plain/all-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves
- Unsalted butter: Melted.
- Light brown sugar
- Caster/granulated sugar
- Large egg
- Vanilla extract
- Molasses OR black treacle: Do not use blackstrap molasses. See recipe notes below in the recipe card for more information.
- Chocolate chips: Milk, dark, or semi-sweet.
How to make Chocolate Chip Ginger Cookies
To make these cookies, simply grab a medium mixing bowl and whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cornflour, salt, and spices. Set aside.
In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugars until combined.
Add the egg, vanilla extract, and molasses, and mix until combined.
Add the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Using a medium cookie scoop, drop scoops of the dough onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat, and bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
Allow to cool on the baking tray for 5 – 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
The printable recipe card with the FULL list of ingredients and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post.
NOTE: For best results, I highly recommend using the gram measurements (with a digital scale), rather than the cup measurements.
Cup measurements are simply not accurate enough, and I cannot guarantee the best results if you use them.
These Chocolate Chip Ginger Cookies are:
- super quick and easy to make
- deliciously thick, soft, and chewy
- loaded with ginger and molasses flavour
- stuffed full of chocolate chips
- the PERFECT cookies for Christmas!
How long will these ginger cookies last? These cookies will stay fresh, kept in an airtight container, at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Want freshly-baked cookies every time? Cookie dough balls can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days, or frozen for up to 3 months. Bake straight from frozen.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram and hashtag it #marshasbakingaddiction. I’d love to see!
Try these cookies next!
- Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- Double Chocolate Banana Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Coffee Cookies
- Peanut Butter & Jam Thumbprint Cookies
Craving more sweet treats? Subscribe to my newsletter to receive recipe updates straight to your inbox. You can also keep up to date on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.
Originally Published: November, 2016 | Updated: December, 2020
- 2 and 1/4 cups (281g) plain/all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cornflour/cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (150g) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) caster/granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (80g) molasses/black treacle (not blackstrap)*
- 1 cup (175g) chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4, and line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cornflour, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugars until combined. Add the egg, vanilla, and molasses, and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, drop scoops of the dough onto the prepared baking tray, and bake for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the baking tray for 5 - 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
*Light or true molasses is much sweeter than blackstrap molasses (which is very bitter), and is much preferred in baking.
Cookies stay fresh, kept in an airtight container, at room temperature for up to 1 week. Cookie dough balls can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days, or frozen for up to 3 months. Bake straight from frozen.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting Marsha's Baking Addiction.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 cookies Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 198Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 100mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @MarshasBakeBlog on Instagram and hashtag it #marshasbakingaddiction