The BEST Chocolate Chip Muffins – These bakery-style muffins are deliciously moist, fluffy, and stuffed full of chocolate chips. My absolute FAVOURITE muffins!
The BEST Chocolate Chip Muffins
I have revamped my favourite Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe, and today I’m sharing them with you. They really are the BEST muffins you’ll ever try!
These bakery-style muffins are big, full of chocolate chips, and super moist. The buttermilk and vegetable oil used in this recipe are what makes these muffins SO moist and soft.
Ingredients you’ll need
Here’s a list of ingredients you’ll need to make these muffins. You can find my recipe card at the bottom of this post for the complete list with their amounts.
- Plain/all-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Large eggs
- Caster/granulated sugar
- Buttermilk: See my recipe notes below on how to make your own!
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips: You can use milk, dark, or semi-sweet.
How to make The BEST Chocolate Chip Muffins
To make these muffins, start by whisking together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until thick and light in colour. (This may take a few minutes – use a hand mixer if you have one.) Add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla, and whisk until combined.
Add the dry ingredients in thirds and fold in until just combined – do not overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Spoon the mixture into a muffin pan lined with muffin cases, filling to the top. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
TIP: Turn the pan halfway through baking to ensure even rise and browning – around the 12 minute mark, when the tops of the muffins are already starting to colour and have risen well. Be sure not to leave the oven door open for too long!
Allow to cool for 5 – 10 minutes in the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Try one warm from the oven – SO GOOD.
The printable recipe card with the FULL list of ingredients and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post.
NOTE: For best results, I highly recommend using the gram measurements (with a digital scale), rather than the cup measurements.
Cup measurements are simply not accurate enough, and I cannot guarantee the best results if you use them.
Tips & tricks for this recipe
Here are a few tips and tricks for making these muffins.
- You can make these muffins in a muffin pan with OR without the cases if needed. Just be sure to grease the pan well if not using – I highly recommend a cake release spray.
- Make sure to measure your flour out correctly. Using too much flour will result in dry muffins. I always recommend using kitchen scales instead of measuring cups for better accuracy.
- If you can’t get hold of buttermilk, you can either make your own (instructions can be found in the recipe card below), or you can replace with plain yogurt or sour cream.
- Once the muffin batter is in the pan ready to be baked, sprinkle on a few extra chocolate chips – for looks.
- Baking these muffins at a higher-than-usual temperature is what makes them rise up into bakery-style muffins!
These Chocolate Chip Muffins are:
- so quick and easy to throw together
- deliciously moist and fluffy
- loaded with chocolate chips
- BIG on flavour
How long will these muffins last? These muffins will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze these muffins? Yep. They also freeze well for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Bring to room temperature or warm up in the microwave for a few seconds.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram and hashtag it #marshasbakingaddiction. I’d love to see!
Try these delicious muffins next!
Craving more sweet treats? Subscribe to my newsletter to receive recipe updates straight to your inbox. You can also keep up to date on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.
Originally Published: May, 2016 | Updated: March, 2019