Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes – Deliciously moist and fluffy chocolate cupcakes topped with a creamy coconut-infused buttercream frosting, and coated with desiccated coconut!
Are you a chocolate and coconut fan? I have just the recipe for you today – Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes!
These chocolate cupcakes are so incredibly moist and fluffy, and they’re topped with a sweet, creamy coconut-infused buttercream frosting. Sprinkle on some desiccated coconut, and you have yourself the ultimate chocolate coconut cupcakes.
The frosting is infused with coconut in three ways – coconut extract, coconut milk, and a sprinkle of desiccated coconut. It’s packed full of flavour, and pairs perfectly with the chocolate cupcakes.
For looks (and an extra treat!), I’ve topped these cupcakes off with a piece of coconut chocolate bar. I used Bounty, but you can use whichever bars you like!
- 1 cup cake flour* 100g
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder 50g
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster/granulated sugar 150g
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt 120g
- 4 cups icing/powdered sugar 500g
- 1 cup unsalted butter 226g, softened
- 2 - 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup desiccated coconut 60g
- 2 coconut chocolate bars such as Bounty
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin cases, and set aside.
Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Whisk together the eggs. Add the sugar, and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla extract, butter, and yogurt, and whisk until combined. Fold in the dry ingredients.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cases, filling only 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the butter until pale and creamy. Add half of the icing sugar, and beat until combined. Add the remaining sugar and beat until combined. Add the coconut milk and coconut extract, and beat until light and fluffy.
Transfer the frosting to a piping bag, and frost the cooled cupcakes. Coat with desiccated coconut, and top with a piece of coconut chocolate.
*Make your own cake flour! Measure out 1 cup (125g) of plain/all-purpose flour, remove 2 tablespoon, and replace with 2 tablespoons of cornflour/cornstarch. Sift well.
Leftover cupcakes can be stored, covered tightly, in the fridge for up to 3 days. Frosted or unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
Cupcakes can be made 1 day in advance, covered, and stored at room temperature. Cover the frosting, and store in the fridge until ready to use.