Deliciously moist and fluffy chocolate bundt cake infused with orange, and topped with a rich and creamy dark chocolate orange ganache!
The adaptations I’ve done to the recipe are: I’ve replaced the buttermilk with sour cream, removed 1/2 cup of flour and replaced with 1/2 of cocoa powder, and used light brown sugar instead of caster sugar. And the obvious adaptations are that I’ve used orange juice and zest instead of lemon juice and zest, duh. 😉 The sour cream really does make this cake super moist, and keeps it moist for days.
The chocolate ganache glaze is such a quick and easy recipe, with only 3 ingredients: chocolate, heavy cream, and a little orange juice. I use chocolate chips here, but you could use your favourite good quality chocolate, chopped. You simply heat up the heavy cream in the microwave, pour it over the chocolate, and stir together until melted and smooth. Stir in the orange juice, leave to cool slightly, then drizzle over the cooled cake. Chocolate orange perfection.
This chocolate cake is deliciously orangey. My brother says it tastes like Terry’s Chocolate Orange in cake form! And I have to agree. If you love that chocolate, and cake, then this Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake is for you. 😉
Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake
For the Cake
- 2 and 1/2 cups cake flour* 250g
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder 50g
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 2 large oranges
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 cups light brown sugar 300g
- 1/3 cup orange juice 80ml
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil 180ml
- 1 cup sour cream 240ml, room temperature
For the Ganache
- 1 cup chocolate chips 175g
- 1/2 cup heavy cream 115ml
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease a 10-inch bundt pan (I use Wilton Cake Release to grease my pans.), and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs. Add the sugar, and whisk until combined. Add the orange juice, and vegetable oil, and whisk until combined. Whisk in the dry ingredients, then fold in the sour cream.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean with a few moist crumbs. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Ganache
- Microwave the heavy cream until very hot, but not boiling.
- Place the chocolate chips in a heat-proof bowl. Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate chips and whisk until completely melted and smooth. Whisk in the orange juice.
- Leave to cool for 5 - 10 minutes, then drizzle over the cooled cake, and serve.
Notes*Make your own cake flour! Weigh out 2 and 1/2 cups (312g) plain/all-purpose flour, remove 5 tablespoons, and replace with 5 tablespoons of cornflour/cornstarch. Sift well.
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and love. Thank you for supporting Marsha’s Baking Addiction!