Chocolate Swiss Roll – Deliciously moist and fluffy cake filled with a thick layer of vanilla whipped cream and dusted with icing sugar!
One of my favourite things to make are cake rolls. They look so impressive and are perfect for all special occasions and holidays. They can be quite intimidating to make for some, but once you’ve got the perfect cake base recipe, it’s so simple to put together!
This cake is incredibly soft, moist and fluffy, it’s the perfect sponge for a cake roll. It rolls up really well and forms no cracks! This is my favourite chocolate cake roll recipe, and it’s so much better than store-bought. The whipped cream filling is just so divine. Infused with vanilla, it’s so creamy and melt-in-your-mouth, I could literally eat it by the spoonful!
This Chocolate Swiss Roll is so quick and easy to make, you really can’t go wrong. Just make sure to follow my recipe word for word and you’ll have yourself the most perfectly moist, chocolatey, and impressive cake roll on the table. Your family will be going back for seconds! You may need to make two of these for a large crowd, because it’ll go quick. 😉
- 4 large eggs separated, room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster/granulated sugar 150g
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup greek style yogurt 60ml
- 1 cup cake flour* 100g
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder 25g
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream 240ml
- 1/2 cup icing/powdered sugar 60g
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease a 10x15-inch cake roll pan, and line the base with parchment paper.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the egg yolks on high speed until thick. Gradually beat in the sugar, vanilla, and yogurt. Add the flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and spread out evenly. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a tea towel dusted with icing/powdered sugar. Gently peel off the parchment paper, then roll up the cake with the tea towel, starting at a short end. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, whip the heavy cream until it starts to thicken. Add the icing sugar and vanilla and whip to stiff peaks. Unroll the cake, and spread the whipped cream evenly over the cake. Re-roll without the tea towel. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Dust with icing/powdered sugar and serve.
*Make your own cake flour! Measure out 1 cup (125g) of plain/all-purpose flour, remove 2 tablespoons and replace with 2 tablespoons of cornflour/cornstarch. Sift well.
Make ahead of time: Prepare the cake as instructed, and refrigerate the rolled up cake (with towel) for up to 1 day before filling and serving.
Prepared cake roll, with filling, freezes well for up to 2 - 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before slicing and serving.