Gingerbread Men – Deliciously ginger-spiced cookies that are slightly soft on the inside, and crispy on the outside, and decorated with icing!
Gingerbread Men. The MUST-make cookies for Christmas, and today, I bring you my Gingerbread Men recipe!
This gingerbread recipe is a super easy one, that takes 10 minutes to throw together, and at least 3 hours in the fridge to chill before rolling and cutting into shapes. I like to leave my dough to chill overnight. Perfect for preparing the night before Christmas!
Pop them in the oven to bake for 9 – 10 minutes, and you’ll have perfectly shaped, delicious Gingerbread Men. Your kitchen will smell amazing with all the spices baking, too – bonus. 😉
Time to decorate them!
The dough stays fresh for up to 3 days in the fridge, and can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Perfect for when you’re short on time, but still want to make homemade Christmas cookies to share!
For the Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter 170g, room temperature
- 3/4 cup light or dark brown sugar 150g
- 1/2 cup molasses/black treacle 165g
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 3 and 1/4 cups plain/all-purpose flour 400g
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the Icing
- 1 cup icing/powdered sugar 125g
- 3 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons golden syrup
For the Cookies
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and molasses, and beat until combined. Add the egg, and beat until combined. Add the dry ingredients, and mix until combined.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into discs. Wrap each one in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours and up to 3 days. I like to chill mine overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4, and line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- On a generously floured surface, roll 1 disc of dough until about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into shapes, and place them onto the prepared baking tray. Re-roll any dough scraps to make more shapes. Repeat with the other dough disc.
- Bake for 9 - 10 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Icing
- In a small bowl, stir together the icing sugar and milk until smooth. Stir in the vanilla and golden syrup until smooth and glossy. Add food colouring, if desired. If icing is too thick, add more milk.
- Decorate cookies as desired, and enjoy!
NotesCookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. Baked and decorated cookies freeze well for up to 3 months.Dough discs freeze well for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before rolling, shaping, and baking.
Did you make this recipe? Take a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #marshasbakingaddiction, or tag me at @marshasbakeblog. I would love to see!