Glazed Chocolate Chip Orange Bread – Sweet, moist and tender orange bread studded with chocolate chips, and drizzled with an orange glaze!
Fancy some chocolate chip orange bread drizzled with orange glaze for breakfast?
I have the perfect recipe for you. I used my favourite bread/muffin base recipe, it is my go-to, and never fails me. The ingredients that make my bread so moist, and tender? Oil, and buttermilk. While butter gives unbeatable flavour in recipes, it cannot beat the moisture that oil brings. With the flavours of the chocolate chips, orange juice, zest, and glaze, you won’t miss the butter!
Glazed Chocolate Chip Orange Bread
Try not to substitute the buttermilk with anything. It is an absolute MUST if you want a super moist, and tender crumb! If you can’t get hold of buttermilk, simply add a tablespoon of white vinegar, and 1 cup (240ml) of milk to a measuring jug, leave for 5 – 10 minutes, then you have yourself homemade buttermilk!
This recipe is so quick, and easy to make, you just combine the dry ingredients in one bowl, combine the wet ingredients in another, then mix the two together, bake, and done! A sweet, and delicious orange loaf ready to devour for breakfast, or any time of the day!
- 3 cups plain/all-purpose flour 375g
- 3/4 cup caster/granulated sugar 170g
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips 175g, and some extra for topping
- Zest of one large orange
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup orange juice 60ml
- 1 cup buttermilk 240ml
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil 100ml
- 1 cup icing/powdered sugar 125g
- 1 - 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Orange zest as much as you want
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line the bottom of an 9x5" loaf pan with baking paper, and grease the sides. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt orange zest, and chocolate chips.
- Whisk together the egg, orange juice, buttermilk, and oil. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, sprinkle the extra chocolate chips on top, and bake for 50 - 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cover loosely with aluminium foil halfway through baking to prevent the bread from browning too much.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before removing and glazing.
- Whisk together the icing sugar, and orange juice. Add more orange juice, depending on how thick you'd like the glaze. Whisk in the orange zest, then drizzle over the cooled bread.
Bread stays fresh in an air-tight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 5 days. It also freezes well for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
The calories are an estimate only.