Green Velvet Cupcakes – Deliciously moist and fluffy green vanilla cupcakes topped with a cream cheese frosting and Christmas sprinkles!
Today, I bring you a festive cupcake recipe – Green Velvet Cupcakes! These cupcakes are super moist and so fluffy from using Greek-style yoghurt and cake flour, and topped with a deliciously sweet cream cheese frosting and Christmas sprinkles.
Originally, these cupcakes were going to be red velvet, but I couldn’t resist picking up the Holly Leaf colour!
These Green Velvet Cupcakes are:
- deliciously moist and fluffy
- loaded with vanilla flavour with a hint of cocoa
- quick and easy to make
- festive green – a perfect Christmas cupcake!
- topped with sweet cream cheese frosting
A super quick and easy recipe, these cupcakes can be made on Christmas morning, or can even be made a day in advance if you’re short for time. Simply cover the cupcakes and store at room temperature, and keep the frosting in the fridge until ready to use.
These cupcakes are absolutely delicious. Infused with just enough vanilla extract, and a hint of cocoa powder, these were a huge hit with my family, and I’m sure they will be with yours, too!
More Christmas recipes to make next!
- 1 and 1/2 cups cake flour* 150g
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster/granulated sugar 150g
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 115g, melted
- 1/2 cup Greek style yoghurt 120g
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- Green food colouring
- 1 cup cream cheese 225g, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 115g, softened
- 5 cups icing/powdered sugar 625g
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin cases, and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs. Add the sugar, and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla extract, butter, and yoghurt, and whisk until combined. Mix in the vinegar, and green food colouring until you reach your desired colour. Fold in the dry ingredients. Add more colouring if needed.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups, filling only 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 - 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Beat in the icing sugar until smooth and spreadable, then beat in the vanilla. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag, and frost the cooled cupcakes, or use a knife to frost like pictured. Decorate with sprinkles, or cupcake crumbs!
*Make your own cake flour! Measure out 1 and 1/2 cups (187g) of plain/all-purpose flour, remove 3 tablespoons, and replace with 3 tablespoons of cornflour/cornstarch. Sift well.
Leftover cupcakes can be stored, covered tightly, in the fridge for up to 3 days. Frosted or unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
Cupcakes can be made 1 day in advance, covered, and stored at room temperature. Cover the frosting, and store in the fridge until ready to use.
The calories are an estimate only.