Lemon Bars – A deliciously crispy, buttery shortbread crust topped with a creamy, sweet and tangy lemon filling!
Don’t you just love lemon dessert recipes? They’re so bright and full of flavour, and they remind me of Spring/Summer time. Because I’m craving warmer weather and tangy lemon dessert, today I bring you these irresistible Lemon Bars!
These Lemon Bars are absolutely delicious. They have a very simple crispy, buttery shortbread crust, and a creamy, zesty lemon filling. They’re super easy to throw together, and are baked in no time at all. 15 minutes for the crust, and a further 30 minutes with the filling. Allow to cool completely, dust with a little icing sugar, and you’re done! I like to refrigerate my bars overnight for neater slices.
I hope you enjoy! 🙂
For the Base
- 1 cup unsalted butter 226g, softened
- 2 cups plain/all-purpose flour 250g
- 1/2 cup caster/granulated sugar 100g
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Filling
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice 240ml
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest optional
- 2 and 1/4 cups caster/granulated sugar 450g
- 1 cup plain/all-purpose flour 125g
For the Base
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line a 9x13-inch baking tray with foil and grease with baking spray or butter. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat together the butter, flour, sugar, and salt until a crumbly dough forms. Press the mixture into the prepared baking tray, and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until lightly golden.
For the filling
- Whisk together the eggs, lemon juice, zest, sugar, and flour. Pour over the hot baked crust, and bake for an additional 30 - 35 minutes until the filling is set. Allow to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar, then slice and serve! I like to refrigerate my bars for a few hours or overnight for neater slices.
Lemon bars can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 3 days. They also freeze well for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
You can half this recipe to bake in an 8x8-inch square pan.
Did you make this recipe? Take a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #marshasbakingaddiction, or tag me at @marshasbakeblog. I would love to see!