Lemon Crinkle Cookies – Deliciously soft and chewy lemon-infused cookies that are bursting with flavour, and coated in icing sugar for a beautiful crinkled effect. These are the BEST chewy lemon cookies!
Lemon Crinkle Cookies Recipe
Looking for the perfect lemon cookies that are both gorgeous and delicious? Look no further!
These cookies are thick and chewy, bursting with lemon flavour, and generously coated in icing sugar to create a beautiful crinkled effect.
They are so quick and easy to make and only require simple ingredients you probably already have at home.
These are the BEST cookies for Spring/Summer time!
Ingredients you’ll need
Here’s a list of ingredients you’ll need to make these cookies. You can find my recipe card at the bottom of this post for the complete list with their amounts.
- Plain/all-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Large egg
- Caster/granulated sugar: Using all-white sugar keeps these cookies light and pale in colour. Whether you use food colouring or not, these cookies will be bright and perfect for Spring/Summer time!
- Vegetable oil: Using oil instead of butter in this recipe makes for the most soft and chewy cookies. Using butter resulted in more cakey cookies that didn’t crinkle at all for me.
- Fresh lemon juice: Freshly-squeezed lemon juice will give the best flavour.
- Lemon extract: For an extra dose of lemon flavour.
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon zest
- Yellow food colouring: Optional, but I love the pop of colour it gives when paired with the icing sugar!
- Granulated sugar and icing/powdered sugar: Rolling the dough balls in granulated sugar first helps the icing sugar stay put, creating more beautiful crinkles!
How to make Lemon Crinkle Cookies
To make these cookies, simply whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a separate large bowl, whisk together the egg and sugar.
Add the vegetable oil, lemon juice, lemon extract, vanilla, and zest, and whisk until combined.
If using, add enough yellow food colouring to reach desired shade.
Add the dry ingredients and fold in until combined.
TIP: I like to refrigerate my dough for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight, for thicker cookies with even prettier crinkles. Chilling is not mandatory – you can bake these cookies off straight away!
Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out the dough and roll into balls.
Add the icing sugar and granulated sugar to two separate bowls. Roll each dough ball into the granulated sugar first, then generously roll in the icing sugar.
TIP: I like to roll mine in icing sugar 2 – 3 times to ensure they are thoroughly coated. Once I’ve placed the dough balls on the baking tray after the first roll, I’ll go in and roll them in icing sugar again.
Place onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat and bake for 10 – 12 minutes. The cookies will be very soft, but will firm up as they cool.
Allow to cool on the baking tray for 5 – 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
The printable recipe card with the FULL list of ingredients and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post.
NOTE: For best results, I highly recommend using the gram measurements (with a digital scale), rather than the cup measurements.
Cup measurements are simply not accurate enough, and I cannot guarantee the best results if you use them.
These Lemon Crinkle Cookies are:
- super quick and easy to make
- incredibly thick, soft, and chewy
- bursting with lemon flavour
- the absolute BEST lemon cookies!
How long will these lemon cookies last? These cookies will stay fresh, kept in an airtight container, at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Can I freeze these cookies? Yes, they also freeze well for up to 3 months.
Want freshly-baked cookies ever time? Cookie dough balls can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days, or frozen for up to 3 months (without icing sugar).
When ready to bake, remove from the freezer, and leave to thaw on the counter for 30 minutes. Roll in the sugars, and bake as instructed.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram and hashtag it #marshasbakingaddiction. I’d love to see!
Try these cookies next!
- Iced Orange Cookies
- Mini Egg Cookies
- Chocolate Orange Brownie Cookies
- Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
- Glazed Lemon Cookies via Two Peas & Their Pod