Summer Berry Cupcakes – Deliciously moist and fluffy vanilla cupcakes stuffed with summer berries, and topped with a sweet buttercream frosting!
How’s the weather for you? Summer in the UK is literally hot and sunny one day, and pouring it down with rain the next. Buuut nevertheless, I’m still in the mood for baking with all the summer berries. So, today I bring you my Summer Berry Cupcakes!
These cupcakes are moist, fluffy, and infused with vanilla. They’re stuffed with three types of summer berries – strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. Top these off with a sweet vanilla buttercream frosting, and garnish with even more berries for the perfect summer cupcakes!
- 1 and 1/2 cups cake flour* 150g
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster/granulated sugar 150g
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 115g, melted
- 1/2 cup Greek style yogurt 120g
- 1/4 cup fresh strawberries 50g, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries 30g, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries 25g, chopped
- 4 cups icing/powdered sugar 500g
- 1 cup unsalted butter 226g, softened
- 2 - 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh berries to garnish
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin cases, and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs. Add the sugar, and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla extract, butter, and yogurt, and whisk until combined. Fold in the dry ingredients, then gently fold in the berries.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cases, filling only 2/3 full.
Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on high until pale and creamy. Add half of the icing sugar and, starting on low speed and working up to high, beat until smooth and combined. Repeat with the remaining icing sugar. Add the milk, and beat on high until light and fluffy. Add more milk if too thick, or more icing sugar if too thin.
Transfer the frosting to a piping bag, and frost the cooled cupcakes. Garnish with fresh berries!
*Make your own cake flour! Measure out 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) of plain/all-purpose flour, remove 3 tablespoons, and replace with 3 tablespoons of cornflour/cornstarch. Sift well.
Leftover cupcakes can be stored, in an airtight container, in the fridge for up to 3 days. Frosted or unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
Cupcakes can be made 1 day in advance, covered, and stored at room temperature or in the fridge. Cover the frosting, and store in the fridge until ready to use.
Take a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #marshasbakingaddiction, or tag me at @marshasbakeblog. I would love to see!