Toffee Popcorn Cupcakes – Deliciously moist and fluffy vanilla cupcakes stuffed full of toffee popcorn, and topped with a creamy buttercream frosting with popcorn bits!
Yup. I made cupcakes and stuffed them full of popcorn. TOFFEE popcorn. Even the buttercream frosting has crushed popcorn in it. ↓
This cupcake recipe is super quick and easy to make, yet so fun and impressive.
Firstly, start off by making my vanilla cupcake recipe (which uses melted butter – no mixer needed!). These cupcakes are so moist, fluffy, and delicious, they’re even great without frosting. Fold a bunch of toffee popcorn into the cupcake batter, and bake for about 15 minutes.
Toffee Popcorn Cupcakes
For the buttercream frosting, I folded in some crushed popcorn for even more bite and flavour. If you leave some bigger chunks in the frosting, you may find it hard to pipe it onto the cupcakes (unless you use a big tip), so be sure to finely crush them. I left some in, so I spread mine onto the cupcakes instead. 😉
These toffee popcorn cupcakes are just so fun to make, and even more fun to eat. Why not change things up, and serve these on movie night?
Try these delicious cupcakes next!
- 1 and 1/2 cups cake flour* 150g
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster/granulated sugar 150g
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 115g, melted
- 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt 120g
- 2 oz toffee popcorn 60g
- 4 cups icing/powdered sugar 500g
- 1 cup unsalted butter 226g, softened
- 2 - 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 oz toffee popcorn 30g, finely crushed
- Toffee popcorn to decorate
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin cases, and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Whisk together the eggs. Add the sugar, and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla extract, butter, and yogurt, and whisk until combined. Fold in the dry ingredients, then fold in the popcorn.
Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cases, filling only 2/3 full. Place a few extra popcorn pieces on top, if desired.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on high until pale and creamy.
- Add half of the icing sugar and, starting on low speed and working up to high, beat until smooth and combined. Repeat with the remaining icing sugar.
- Add the milk, and beat on high until light and fluffy. Add more milk if too thick, or more icing sugar if too thin.
On low speed, mix in the crushed popcorn until evenly incorporated.
Pipe or spread the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Top each cupcake with toffee popcorn, and enjoy!
*Make your own cake flour! Measure out 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) of plain/all-purpose flour, remove 3 tablespoons, and replace with 3 tablespoons of cornflour/cornstarch. Sift well.
Leftover cupcakes can be stored, in an airtight container, in the fridge for up to 3 days.
The calories are an estimate only.