Yellow Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting – Deliciously moist and fluffy yellow cupcakes topped with a creamy chocolate buttercream frosting!
Today, I bring you these deliciously moist and fluffy Yellow Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting! Because who doesn’t love a classic cupcake recipe?
Yellow Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Like all of my cupcake recipes, these are super quick and easy to make. All you need is two bowls, and a whisk – no mixer required (well, except for the frosting of course)! These cupcakes stay moist and fresh for up to 3 days, and can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
The chocolate frosting has the perfect ratio of butter and icing sugar that creates the most creamy and buttery… buttercream. And just the right amount of cocoa powder for us chocolate lovers. 😉
These cupcakes make the perfect edible gift, and are always the first to go at parties. Everybody loves them!
Try these cupcake recipes next!
- Salted Caramel Cupcakes
- Funfetti Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes
I hope you enjoy! 🙂
- 1 and 1/2 cups cake flour* 150g
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster/granulated sugar 150g
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 115g, melted
- 1/2 cup Greek style yogurt 120g
- 4 cups icing/powdered sugar 500g
- 1 cup unsalted butter 226g, softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder 50g
- 2 - 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin cases, and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs and egg yolk. Add the sugar, and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla extract, butter, and yogurt, and whisk until combined. Fold in the dry ingredients.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cases, filling only 2/3 full.
- Bake for 14 - 16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the butter until light and creamy. Add half the icing sugar, and beat until smooth. Add the cocoa powder, vanilla, and 1 - 2 tablespoons of milk, and beat until smooth. Add the remaining icing sugar, and beat until smooth. Add more milk to reach desired consistency. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag, and frost the cooled cupcakes.
*Make your own cake flour! Measure out 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) of plain/all-purpose flour, remove 3 tablespoons, and replace with 3 tablespoons of cornflour/cornstarch. Sift well.
Leftover cupcakes can be stored, covered tightly, in the fridge for up to 3 days. Frosted or unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Cupcakes can be made 1 day in advance, covered, and stored at room temperature. Cover the frosting, and store in the fridge until ready to use.
The calories are an estimate only.